Thursday, April 17, 2014

Muffin Tin Drop Biscuits

Okay, folks... we are going extremely easy on these breakfast favorites... as in - four ingredients!  And if you think you are going to have to get all "artsy" here with kneading, and rolling, and cutting out biscuits, you can think again.  Who has time for THAT in the mornings?!  Certainly not me.  All you do for these biscuits is dump, mix, and drop them into the wells of a muffin tin.  I have complete faith that you can do that.  Besides, the batter is so ooey, gooey that I doubt you could roll it out if you wanted to.  

I remembered the other day that a high school friend's mom used to make biscuits using Sprite.  So I started digging, and it seems that this recipe is all over the place!  I have no idea who came up with it.  My kids thought I was crazy when I told them what was in them.

The texture seemed to me to be sort of a cross between a biscuit and a muffin.  Not as dry and crumbly as a traditional biscuit.  More moist and tender.  Then, for the ones we had left over from breakfast, we split them and made old fashioned strawberry shortcakes for dessert after dinner that night.  I'd say that was a home run!  There was not one left!  The kids no longer think it's that crazy.  HaHa!

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:  (10 biscuits)
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup cold Sprite (or other lemon lime soda)
Step-by-Step:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Dump all the ingredients together. 
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup melted but not too hot butter (the regular, salted kind)
1 cup cold Sprite
So what you see here appears to be a wet, gooey mess.  Yep.  Me, too.  There's no way I would attempt to roll this mess out.  Plus, I've got four kids to get off to school.  These are going to be dropped by the spoonful.  End of discussion.
I inherited a set of these silicone muffin cups.  They are the size of standard muffin tin wells.  I'm going to try them out on this recipe.  If you are using a traditional, aluminum muffin pan, I'd spray them first.  For the silicone ones, I'm not going to prepare them with anything.  I'm confident they will pop out. 

I popped them into the oven at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes.  Uncovered, of course.  This was the result.  Tender.  Light.  Moist, and delicious!  
You see how rough and uneven and lumpy they looked as batter?  Well somehow, magically, they pretty much evened out in the oven and turn into beautiful swans!  Don't ask me how.  I'm just the messenger.  
Optional - When they come out of the oven, try brushing the tops with melted butter,  or melted butter and honey.  Or for a savory biscuit, try melted butter and garlic!

I hope you enjoyed this simple and delicious recipe!

There are hundreds more in my Recipe Index, just waiting to be chosen and cooked!  You can also visit my Film strips for pinning page, to see whole recipes at a glance, and to click-and-go right to the recipe.

Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.

Order the MenuMusings Cookbook!

Here are some bonus recipes for you!
Breakfast Casserole 

Ham Cups 

Funky Monkey Morning Smoothies 

Black Iron Skillet Deep Dish Pizza 

Spicy Fried Cauliflower Bites 

Cajun Chicken Salad 

Written Method:  
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Dump all the ingredients together and mix to combine.  Drop by the spoonful into prepared muffin tins.  If using standard aluminum muffin tins, prepare with cooking spray.  Bake at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes uncovered or until golden brown.  Optional - brush the tops with melted butter when they come out of the oven.  Or melted butter and honey.  Or for a savory biscuit, try melted butter and garlic!

Oh.. and to turn them into strawberry shortcakes, that's super easy too.  Slice your strawberries and add a couple spoons of sugar to taste (to start drawing out the juices).  Get a pint of heavy whipping cream really cold, and whip it with a hand mixer in a metal bowl with a bit of really good vanilla and a few spoons of powdered sugar until you have a glorious whipped topping.  Whip until you have a good peak, but don't go too long, or you will have butter.. ha!  Layer the biscuit, whipped cream, strawberries... biscuit, cream, berries again.  Voila!  :)  Messy and wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. I've tried this recipe before and found it a bit sweet. But using these little biscuits for strawberry shortcake is genius! And the version I tried didn't suggest using a muffin tin, I will definitely try that!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karee - I hope the muffin tin works out for you. I'm not sure how to make them less sweet with using Bisquick. I wonder if you substitute club soda for the flavored soda if that would lessen the sweetness a bit? Best wishes, Julie

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest