Thursday, November 6, 2014

Easy Bubble Up Chili Bake

Here we go with another "recycled dinner" post!  Why?  Because 1) - you guys like QUICK and EASY recipes, and 2) - I had leftover Man Chili that needed using, and I was trying to figure out what I could do with it that everyone would like.  I have been seeing quite a few of these "bubble up" recipes on the web, and quite frankly I thought the name sounded fun.  

This particular week, I'm home from school as we are between trimesters, so this gives me a great opportunity to try fun things.  It also means that I get to eat leftovers while the kids are at school.  So for that reason, I decided to go with individual portions when I made these up.  That actually worked great!  You could certainly make this family style in a large casserole dish, but I love things made in individual sizes.  You get portion control (which most of the country NEEDS right now), they often cook faster, and face it - they look cuter! You can also customize them if someone wants something put in or taken out of theirs.  Anyway, the point is... these require practically zero kitchen skill. Serious!  And on a cold day, this dishes up plenty of good old fashioned comfort!

* Please note that I didn't really measure anything.

Ingredients:  (For individual 5 servings.)  
  • Small (5 count) can of biscuits 
  • Leftover cooked chili (approx 1 cup per serving)
  • Shredded cheese (about 2 cups)
  • Toppings of your choice
    • Here's what I used:
    • sour cream, purple onions, cilantro, fresh lime
  • Non-stick cooking spray
Written Method:   
Spray your oven safe ramekins or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray first.  Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces and place first into the dish.  Cover the biscuits with chili and bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.  Check them with a fork to see that they are cooked.  Mine started bubbling up through the top of the chili. Cover liberally with shredded cheese and bake 8-10 minutes more to melt the cheese.  Top with your favorite toppings!  

Step-by-Step:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray your oven safe ramekins or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray first so the biscuits won't stick to the bottom.
Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces and place first into the dish.
Remember, they will expand when they bake, so I wanted to leave some space in between them.  I didn't want them to be so large that you couldn't get your mouth on them; and of course they will bake more quickly if they are smaller rather than if we are cutting them into quarters, for example. 

Cover the biscuits with your leftover chili and bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
Check them with a fork to see that they are cooked.  Mine started bubbling up through the top of the chili.  Here's a peek into the oven.  (This is after 30 minutes.)  I checked with a fork to taste a biscuit in one of them to make sure they were cooked and not still doughy.  If they are, just pop them back into the oven.  Ovens do vary!
Cover liberally with shredded cheese and bake 8-10 minutes more to melt the cheese.

Top with your favorite toppings!
For me, it was a dollop of sour cream, some purple onions, and some cilantro.  Mmmmm.  Serve that with a salad and your cold winter day just got a lot warmer.  You'll definitely forget you were eating leftovers!
So you dip down into the chili, and you have a comforting biscuit waiting for you down there!  Oh my!  Yum!

I hope you enjoyed this simple and delicious recipe!
There are hundreds more in my Recipe Index, just waiting to be chosen and cooked!  You can also visit my Film strips for pinning page, to see whole recipes at a glance, and to click-and-go right to the recipe.

The Menu Musings cookbook is sure to be a hit at your house, and will make great gifts!  For more information, here is a link!
Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.

Also, Please be sure to visit my YouTube Channel for short video tutorials on selected videos.  Watch me explain the steps of the recipes in just a few minutes!  Just one more way that I'm giving you the tools to get in that kitchen!!! Aren't you curious?  Click and see how many there are!  :)

Here's just one delicious example - Louisiana Crab Claws Bordelaise!  YUMMM!!

Here are some bonus recipes for you!
Prosciutto and Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus Appetizers

Beef Wellington with Green Peppercorn Sauce

Overnight Stuffed French Toast Roll-Ups

Easy Mexican Chicken Lasagna

Macadamia Nut Crunch Cake with Mascarpone and Chocolate


Mushroom Tortellini in a Cognac Cream Sauce

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious and easy! Definitely trying this soon. I can just imagine that it would be pretty good with pulled BBQ'd pork also!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest